Frequently Asked Questions:

What type of injury cases do we handle?

The firm handles all types of injury cases such as auto accidents, motorcycle accidents, trucking accidents, bicycle accidents and pedestrian accidents. We also handle slip and fall; burn cases; dog bite cases; premises liability; and construction site injuries.

What do I do if I am in a car crash?

Under Florida law, you should report the crash to your local police and then call your insurance company. Do not provide a written or recorded statement to the other driver’s insurance. There are a number of issues that may arise that are complicated and confusing. Contact Bill Dickey immediately for a free phone consultation to discuss your rights and obligations.

What if the other driver has insurance?

First, do not contact the other driver’s insurance company without consulting an attorney. Do not provide a written or recorded statement without consulting an attorney. Remember, the insurance company is not your friend. Their job is to pay you as little as possible and minimize your injury and expenses. You may be entitled to receive compensation for your out-of-pocket expenses, medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, inconvenience and loss of enjoyment of life.

What insurance benefits are available in a car crash?

Under Florida No-Fault ‘PIP’ law, you may be entitled to receive payment of medical expenses and reimbursement of loss wages up to $10,000. Medical treatment must be received within “14 days of the accident.” If the initial medical treatment is not “emergency treatment,” you may receive up to $2,500 in benefits. Benefits must be paid by the insurance company within 30 days of their receipt. You may seek medical care from a physician of your choice.

What if I am injured on the job?

Under Florida law, there are many requirements if you are injured on the job. You must notify your employer within 30 days of your injury. Failure to notify your employer may jeopardize your entitlement to medical benefits and lost wage benefits. Reimbursement of lost wages begins after 14 days of lost time from work. Workers’ Compensation chooses your doctor. You may be entitled to impairment benefits, disability benefits, a lump sum settlement and even re-training. You should contact The Law Offices of Bill Dickey, P.A. to discuss your rights and obligations.

Do I have short term or long term disability insurance?

Many workers have disability insurance through their employment. Oftentimes, you and your employer have purchased disability insurance for your benefit. Almost all disability policies purchased through work are processed through Federal Employee Retirement Income and Security Act (ERISA). Unfortunately, ERISA policies and claims are designed to protect your employer and the insurance company. Although legitimate claims, most are denied because the employee failed to follow all of the demands of the insurance company. Routinely, the insurance companies put into place a complicated ’laundry list’ of requirements of you and your doctor. If necessary, we can refer you to a doctor who will evaluate the extent of your disability. Our firm is able to bring your claim through the process faster and make the payments of wage benefits quicker.