What do I do if I am in a car crash?

Under Florida law, you should report the auto accident to your local police and then call your insurance company. Do not provide a written or recorded statement to the other driver’s insurance. There are a number of issues that may arise that are complicated and confusing. Contact Bill Dickey immediately for a free phone consultation to discuss your rights and obligations.

What if the other driver has insurance?

First, do not contact the other driver’s insurance company without consulting an attorney. Do not provide a written or recorded statement without consulting a personal injury attorney. Remember, the insurance company is not your friend. Their job is to pay you as little as possible and minimize your injury and expenses. You may be entitled to receive compensation for your out-of-pocket expenses, medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, inconvenience and loss of enjoyment of life.

What insurance benefits are available in a car crash?

Under Florida No-Fault ‘PIP’ law, you may be entitled to receive payment of medical expenses and reimbursement of loss wages up to $10,000. Medical treatment must be received within “14 days of the accident.” If the initial medical treatment is not “emergency treatment,” you may receive up to $2,500 in benefits. Benefits must be paid by the insurance company within 30 days of their receipt. You may seek medical care from a physician of your choice.